Backup running, smaller than expected

May 27, 2014 at 5:30 PM
This may or may not be an issue, but I noticed when running the full backup, the "Farm" backup folder is smaller than if I run a full backup through Central Admin. Through CA, the backup folder is 20.4 GB. Through the Script, its 7.12 GB. Now I do understand that the script divides up some items into other folders, and that the "Sites" folder gets a backup file that is about 7 GB in size, but it still seems like its missing something.

The only error I see in the backupjobreport.log is as follows, but the backup continues afterward.

27-May-2014 00:00:13 Info: Farm database server: shptsql1
27-May-2014 00:00:13 Info: Attempting to access to farm database server: shptsql1
27-May-2014 00:00:28 Warning: There was a problem trying to determine whether this version of SQL is compatible. Reason: Exception calling "Open" with "0" argument(s): "A network-related or instance-specific error occurred while establishing a connection to SQL Server. The server was not found or was not accessible. Verify that the instance name is correct and that SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. (provider: Named Pipes Provider, error: 40 - Could not open a connection to SQL Server)"

I really love this script and its robust features, but please let me know if I'm just being overly paranoid and I am backing up everything!
Jun 4, 2014 at 8:02 PM
You can disregard, this is working just fine. I had the full backup set to a different day than I thought I did, so it was just doing incrementals. The script is awesome, and once you figure out how to use it, it works fine. :)

BTW, am I the only one who can't get to the Preparing for & Configuring the SharePoint (2010) Farm Backup Script (PDF) on the front page? It goes to a dead page. Might have helped clear up my confusion.

Anyway, doesn't look like the author has come onto the site in a while, but once you get it working, this script is the best free backup solution for any SharePoint 2010 admin.