PowerShell application crash during SharePoint Farm Backup run

Jul 15, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Hi Darren

I'm running SPFarmBackup v2.3 and am observing an intermittent problem with the PowerShell process crashing. If carrying out a full backup and using all of your options (e.g. backup of filesystem assets, Site Collections, log files and so on) the crash usually occurs just as Site Collection backups start, which leaves the Site Collection read only. Subsequent backup runs might work fine, but of course the lock state is preserved and the Site Collection remains read only until someone intervenes. Reading other posts about problems with site lock state, I suspect that this is something other people have experienced but they've misinterpreted the cause and reported issues with the part of your script that deals with Site Collection backups.

I've tried removing Site Collection backups but the problem still recurs occasionally. Similarly, I tried removing the section that merges the log files, because that was also failing part way through, but I still saw occasional PowerShell crashes. There doesn't seem to be a frequency or time of day pattern (e.g. I can launch the Scheduled Tasks 10 times at a random time of day and see one PowerShell crash).

At the moment I'm down to trying to analyse a crash dump using Windbg, but I'm very new to that. All I really have to go on is that an Event ID 1000 is generated in the Application Log and an associated Windows Error Report. Highlights are Event Type APPCRASH, Faulting Application powershell.exe and Faulting Module ntdll.dll

This particular farm is 3 tier (1 x 1 x 1); SP 2010 with SP1 and June 2012 CU, SQL 2008 R2 Standard x64, all on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 with updates applied up to early May 2013.

Have you come across this before? Any suggestions? I appreciate it might not be directly related to your script, but any help you can provide would be great.

Thanks

Mike
Aug 22, 2013 at 9:11 AM
Hi Mike

I have the exact same issue as you have described.

Just wondered if you have resolved this issue or have identified a workaround?

Thanks

Nav
Sep 26, 2013 at 8:07 AM
Hi,

same here ... powershell.exe crashing once per month :-(

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Valh
Oct 10, 2013 at 4:12 PM
Hi all

I have the same problem. Powershell crashed 2 nights in a row and server reboot did not help.

Any workaround or clue to resolution?

Thanks

PCS
Jun 3, 2015 at 9:25 AM
If still relevant - check the permissions for your backup folder. (e.g. the network share)
for testing purpose - use a local drive e.g. on the SQL with r/w permissions for everyone.
worked for me...not further powershell crashes.