SharePoint SQL Log Files

Nov 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM
Edited Nov 29, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Hi,

Does the backup process backup the SharePoint_Config database and does this process also manage truncating the SQL Log file?

Thanks

David

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2012 at 12:26 PM

Hi David,

1. Does the backup process backup the SharePoint_Config database?

2. Does this process also manage truncating the SQL Log file?

The quick answer is:

1. Yes

2. No

I have been meaning to blog for sometime, indeed even promising to about the backup/restore with native tools and the more I am asked the more inclined I am to get it done. Time permitting I will have a nice blog post to refer you to in the near future.

Dec 5, 2012 at 10:43 AM

Thanks for your reply,  I have some more detail and another question:

I have the script setup to full backups everynight to keep the last 3 nights.  I have reviewed my SharePoint_Config and wss_* content databases and they all state that they were last backed up when the script has run, though the last log file backup datetime is empty meaning they have never been backed up.

The issue I have is the log is growing and growing (Did hit 40GB a one point) as it is not being backed up.  Is there a setting in the script to backup the log file or does this have to be a seperate maintenence task?

Thanks

David

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2013 at 10:50 PM
davidkipling wrote:

The issue I have is the log is growing and growing (Did hit 40GB a one point) as it is not being backed up.  Is there a setting in the script to backup the log file or does this have to be a seperate maintenence task?

Hi David,

Sorry, the script doesnt manage SQL in any way.  All SQL management will need to be done in SSMS.

Darren